View Single Post
Old 09-04-16, 08:21 PM

Default One Canadian View

It would be hypocritical of me to say I dislike the use of the "F-bomb" as I still use it on occasion. This is probably because it has lost the shock value for me after 27 years in the Army. That is the thing about scatological language, (how's that for a 50 P word?) its shock value. Nowadays it shocks me more over WHO says it as opposed to WHAT is said.

The Canadian Army is, I'm sure, much like the British Army (we take most of our traditions from you guys). We try to avoid swearing when instructing troops as our Instructional Technique lessons tells us it presents an unprofessional manner. That does not mean all Canadian soldiers are pure and virginal linguistically. Quite the contrary

To a degree, it depends on how a soldier was brought up. Some heard it growing up (like me, heard from my friends at about age 6 or 7). Some are exposed for the first time in recruit training. Some use it so much they can't string three or four sentences without using it as a crutch or the thread to bind their thoughts together. Some try to limit it's use in everyday conversation.

I know that it is hard to change people's behaviour, especially in today's world of personal liberties, "nobody's goin' to effing well tell me what to do!!"
So, in a group setting, it can be hard to be the only one choosing not to swear. Phil, if your very senior management do not ever, ever swear (wouldn't say S**T if they had a mouthful), maybe you could invite them in for a surprise visit unbeknownst to the others on the off chance the offenders will get caught. As we all know, poop rolls downhill. Barring that, all I can offer is something to say the next time foul language starts flying around..."We can acknowledge that poop exists in the world, we just don't have to wallow in it like pigs."

My perspective from this side of the pond, anyway. Keep smiling.

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"