View Single Post
Old 15-03-16, 08:42 AM

Anyone else got any photographs of replacement lugs on these badges, they are encountered far too often and those that I have seen in the past tend to be like the example shown by RMR on here.
I think, from memory, John Sheen, in his book, mentions the first pattern badge being replaced and soldiers being allowed to retain their original badge, whilst wearing the new one.
Many years ago, as a boy, it was suggested to me, that these badges had their lugs removed and were all pinned, but, I have seen rather more like the example shown here by RMR, sometimes, as here, with RMR's badge, that clearly shown the remains of the original lugs.

Photographic evidence clearly shows these badges being worn on the glengarry well into 1915, has anyone else got any badges with original or replaced lugs, before and after, if you like?
One assumes the original lugs were replaced with new lugs or pins locally, has anyone any thoughts on this, I was thinking, just perhaps, Reid and Sons, 23 Blackett Street, Newcastle, still in business in their same location today.