View Single Post
Old 06-06-20, 04:29 PM

Default Gaunt Montreal plates

In the 1970's and early 1980's I had a fair number of CEF badges through my hands, all struck during WWI. Things have changed since then.

Canadian badges are now being faked. I recently acquired a Candian Militia badge (genuine) and came across what I think is a fake.

For the interest of the Forum I attach photographs.
Row 1 badges 1 & 3 are of badges for sale by Relic Militaria of P.O.Box 227, Pocklington, Yorkshire. They have a French connection, selling some of the Mazeas collection One is white metal badge, the other one is blackened white metal. Badge 2 is my photograph of the badge I bought. Row 2 Badges 1 & 3 are the sellers photographs, the missing bit ringed. The middle photograph is of the edge where the bit is broken off.

Row 3 is I think a fake. It looks like gilding metal, but claimed to be white metal. The crown is not fully voided. There are differences to badges 1,2 & 3 The faker has added the Gaunt Montreal plaque with rounded corners

At the bottom is the evidence that Gaunt's Montreal Office advertised the 8th R. R. badge, but there is no evidence a plaque was added. The Gaunt leaflet was sourced from British & Commonwealth badge forum.

Other Canadian badges are appearing in the wrong metals. The beauty of CEF's was that many metal finishes were unique to that badge,
Quote:
http://