View Single Post
Old 30-08-21, 01:29 PM

I would like to ask a follow-up question on this subject as I am doing research on South African units in German East Africa in WWI.

First of all, I wondered if anyone is an expert on the colour schemes of South African helmet flashes. I am looking at the 5th South African Infantry, and the Osprey book on this theatre (Armies in East Africa 1914–18) lists 5SAI as having a green and white diamond flash. I have seen other online sources claiming it was blue and white.

Secondly, was the arrangement of the colours on a helmet flash reversed for the other side of the helmet. In other words, would this flash always have the green (or blue) section of the diamond to the front of the helmet, or would it be shown in the same arrangement regardless of which side it was on?

I understand that this is a very picky question, but I want to get the details right if at all possible. I have written to the Ditsong Museum of Military History but I haven't heard back. I will post here if I get a reply, but in the meantime, if anyone has any insight I would be very grateful!