View Single Post
Old 02-12-22, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_vee View Post
One other 'suggestion' is that when King George V died in 1936 there was a "gap" in the Royal Warrants , from 1937 the Gaunt adverts in the Army Lists used the basic "By Appointment" one but in May 1940 the same adverts had "By Appointment to the Late King George V".
Did a bit more digging in the Army Lists and found that in July 1936 the Gaunt advert showed the full Royal Warrant , in 1937/1938 they used the basic "By Appointment" one and changed to the "By appointment to the Late King George V" in January 1939.

I decided to check on Firmin & Son Ltd. and discovered that in 1937/1938 they also used the basic "By Appointment" one and then changed to "By Appointment to the Late King George V" in April 1939 (which was still used in April 1940).

So , it would appear that for a 2 year period it was accepted (and common) practice to use the basic "By Appointment" on adverts etc.

Some firms were then permitted to style themselves "By Appointment to the late King George V.," entitling them to display the Royal Arms, but not to fly the Royal Standard, nor to use the word " Royal ".

Quote:
Then the Royal Household will review Warrant grants upon a change of the reigning Sovereign.
Summary : Were the cards produced and used , I don't know but they would not have been illegal at the time.

I have found several example of the Gregory and Quilter parachute badge on Gaunt cards (all the same as the one in post #1 - Warwick Street address).

But .... I have also seen numerous other different badges on 'similar' "By Appointment" cards but without an actual full address (only London and Birmingham) , I don't know if these badges would have been produced/sold during the short period that the cards may have been used.
Therefore I would have my doubts about these other cards being genuine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gaunt July 1936.jpg (102.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Firmin & Sons Ltd. January 1937.jpg (93.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Firmin & Sons Ltd. April 1939.jpg (77.0 KB, 5 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted