View Single Post
Old 01-12-22, 02:58 PM

This is getting interesting !

In an earlier (2013) post you said :
Quote:
I have asked if gaunt had a warrant before 1940 as i'm sure they must and i am waiting for a reply as the information is in the archives.
The advert from "1934 Dress Regulations for The Army" shows the full "Royal Warrant" and I have a boxed Gaunt "British Legion" badges from early 1920's which shows they had one at that time.

NB: Date of British Legion badges based on membership number and Gaunt address. (Showroom located at 60 Conduit Street London 1918 - 1925)

So while it is possible they 'lost' the warrant for a few years (1936-1940 ?) is it also possible they used the basic "By Appointment" heading on adverts and cards during this short period ?

Quote:
What happens to a company or individual when a Royal Warrant is cancelled?
They are normally allowed up to 12 months to alter their packaging, stationery and advertising and to remove the Royal Arms from their buildings and vehicles.
One other 'suggestion' is that when King George V died in 1936 there was a "gap" in the Royal Warrants , from 1937 the Gaunt adverts in the Army Lists used the basic "By Appointment" one but in May 1940 the same adverts had "By Appointment to the Late King George V".

Quote:
What happens when the Grantor dies?
The Royal Warrant will become void but the company or individual may continue to use the Royal Arms in connection with the business for up to two years, provided there is no significant change within the company concerned. The Royal Household will review Warrant grants upon a change of the reigning Sovereign.

So , while I agree that unscrupulous people may produce cards to up the price of items I think it is possible that Gaunt may have used them but only for a couple of years .

Attached Images
File Type: jpg By Appointment.jpg (77.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Gaunt May 1940.jpg (47.2 KB, 15 views)

Poppy and British Legion Wanted