Thread: LRDG just sold
View Single Post
Old 25-11-20, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
The number of these badges that are out there is a joke. For a regiment whose personnel never numbered more than 350 the amount of LRDG badges around is ludicrous. I get the impression that each man on qualifying for the regiment was handed a bucketful of the things. The badge in the opening post is supposedly a theatre-cast badge like thousands of other regimental badges were and is surely open to doubt to it's authenticity just as all the others are. We are all aware of the amazing work of the LRDG but 950 quid for a theatre-cast badge is beyond ridiculous.
So far as I know a significant quantity of badges from the LRDG QM Store were discovered circa 2011 and came onto the market. I am no LRDG or SF collector but my understanding is they were all genuine unissued wartime stock. This may explain the quantities you refer to, in my opinion this does not make them any less genuine than those worn, otherwise a great many other badges many on here own would not be genuine if authenticity is judged on the proviso of them having been worn.

Rather this is the flip side and opposite scenario to officious QMs collecting in badges and disposes of them before issuing a new pattern as we experience with the 12th London 2nd pattern cap badge.

If I’m mistaken I’m sure the SF gurus will correct me.