View Single Post
Old 04-11-20, 11:55 AM

I assume you mean turning pictures that are shown on forum threads in the wrong orientation and not about turning pictures in general.

As far as I can understand this.

When you have uploaded pictures to the forum (using the Attach files from the Additional Options below the edit window), you can not change anything anymore (maybe you can edit your post, delete the pointers to the uploaded pictures and add new ones that have the correct orientation).

When you have provided an URL to the picture using the Insert Image button in the tool bar of the edit window, the image is loaded from that place new every time someone accesses the post, thus editing that picture will be experienced at the next loading of the thread by somebody.

The first case is the one mostly used here. Thus uploading the picture correct is needed, because it can not be corrected later.

That brings us to the real problem. Why do people think their picture has the correct orientation where the uploaded one then is 90⁰ rotated? I am not sure about this. But it could be because many pictures are token using handheld devices (like so called mobile phones) where the orientation is not very clear. Thus the orientation as stored inside the image (JPEG) maybe different from what the user sees because he turned the device over. Checking the image with a program on a laptop/desktop may reveal this and allow one to correct before one uploads.

Just my assessment of this annoying phenomenon.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages