View Single Post
Old 20-07-13, 05:14 PM

Hello Steven,
With the Grigg made badges, I would have thought, okay yes, an officers badge, die cast and bronze, but, the problem I have, is that the very same badge was also made in brass, a true OSD is normally on blades, but, or course, there were other manufacturers that made officers badges on lugs.
I feel that with the amazing range of badges available for officers, silver, bronze and of course the superb fine murcurial fire gilt, why would you want a brass one, I would not!
So my own thoughts are that the brass are for other ranks and the bronze were intended for officers, but, I just don't know for sure, both the SA Hospital and Brigade Depot were in Richmond.
Kind regards Frank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milmed View Post
Hi all,
Just thought I would add some thought I have on the expeditionary force badges based on photographiv evidence.

1. Universal springbok badge:
Yes these basically came in two sizes. It appears from photographs of the early days of the force in training at Twezeldown Camp(near Aldershot) that the first issue of these all appear to be the large badge. Subsequent pictures of the force in France, shows a mix of badge sizes. So the smaller badge may have been subsequent issues for replenishment troops, and maybe a cost cutting to save on brass. An alternative is that the smaller badge may have been private purchase.

Of course officers badges are mostly private purchase and here you find more officers with smaller badges and of various finishes. In my opinion the Grigg badge is an officers badge. I have two of these found locally in Cape Town recently, though the second identical to the first does not have the Grigg hallmark.

2. The South Africa / INF / Zuid Africa appears to be the standard Infantry shoulder title. I have seen pictures of all 4 battalions wearing this title with the number worn above it. This was again in my opinion the standard issue item. All other shoulder titles, I believe are private purchase.

I have a nice bronzed version of this standard title with Tiptaft, Bham hallmark. This is the only one I have seen with a hallmark.

3. The SA Scottish titles with thistle and springbok I have never seen worn in any period photograph. I believe these are private purchase but whether for a group of officers or maybe for pipers, I cannot say.

Regards
Steven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1020075.jpg (54.6 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 20-07-13 at 05:49 PM.