View Single Post
Old 27-08-19, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
But... does it categorically?

Picture 1 - sketch approving ‘Artists’ badge design - upturned scroll ends - dated 1895 and held in National Archives (image belongs to Peter J)

Picture 2 - Colour Sgt. Hammond during the Boer War wearing the BB Artists with upturned scroll ends. This date still the 20th Middlesex RV (image belongs to Peter99)

Picture 3 - Wearing the pre-1908 20th Middlesex RV badge again with Artists title but now downturned pointed scroll ends. This variety of badge is found both looped and slidered suggesting post 1903 manufacture.

Picture 4 - 1913 summer cap at Abergavenny a mix of ‘Artists Rifles’ and ‘Artists’ with upturned scroll ends.

Picture 5 - wartime, 1914 at Salisbury plain. Ditto mix of badges.

Picture 6 - much later badge circa WW2.

I would agree the Artists Rifles is the 1908 badge, however, this still makes the overall running order of it’s predecessors very complex.

From the design approval drawing and Colour Sgt. Hammond photos provided by both Peter’s I think we can safely say the ‘Artists’ was the ‘first pattern’ albeit still the old RV.

Now is where it gets complicated. It then must mean either...

The picture 3 RV badge was worn only for a VERY short time and the picture 1/2 badge re-adopted prior to 1908 before introduction of Artists Rifles pattern.

Or

Picture 3 badge worn up to 1908. Then Artists Rifles badge introduced but prior to WW1 the picture 1/2 badge was readopted.

It is of course possible old stock badges were issued in a territorial unit, however, I would expect these to be the pattern before rather than two patterns previous making the top option my preferred. Wartime pressure I don’t think is a factor as a mix of badges is being seen being worn in 1913 at a pre-war camp.

Finally, after all that the Artists badge was (perhaps) re-re-adopted circa WW2.

If the first option is correct I suspect the period of wear the the badge in picture 3 can only be 2 or 3 years post 1903... which would explain why it’s a rather rare.

Picture 7 added to better illustrate the RV badge with pointed scroll ends.

*Peter J and Peter99 I hope you don’t mine me using your photos, please let me know and I’ll remove if this cases an issue.
Great information Luke, very interesting.