View Single Post
Old 19-03-17, 07:26 PM

I have had this badge in my collection for some years now and wasn't ever really sure what it is. I always doubted it was an error as substituting lugs for a slider is a deliberate act and not accidental. Colour variations invariably I would agree frequently are however.

I was recently lucky enough to read a collection of notes by the late Walter Lambert, which were prep for his articles on anodised badges for Crown Imperial. It was here in a draft article on anodised cap badges that I saw mention of this badge. (this was a follow up article to an earlier publication)Quote:-

'I should also have included in the cavalry listing the fact that senior NCO's of the 4/7th Dragoon Guards wore in their SIDE HATS what appears to be the regimental arm badge. The badge is identical to the arm bade but has a slider instead of the normal arm fixing loops. The one in my collection bears the name W Dowler Birmingham on the slider'

The note is dated March 1996.

So if nobody has any knowledge of this badge - and I must confess this source is the only mention of it I can find - my next port of call will be the 4/7 DG museum in York.

Thank you for your time CHAPS.

Bess