Thread: Wear and tear..
View Single Post
Old 14-11-09, 12:07 AM

Hi Bill & David

While I do not discount the story about certain ranks purposely polishing their badge to a mirror finish, I don't give it much weight either. It is another story in the great oral tradition of this hobby. Way too much oral tradition than anyone committing to well documented research. I think I have voiced my opinions on real provenance and documented facts before, so no need to rehash that. Sadly the ability to sort fact from fiction is quickly disappearing as these vets pass away.

I too have seen (and own) badges that are dutifully and lovingly polished to smooth. From looking at this particular badge I see nothing that would lend itself to say conclusively either way this was done wartime or post war. I find it just as likely that some lazy someone didn't want to polish this badge the "hard" way and took a 6000 rpm wire wheel to it??

There is a photo (as referenced in the other thread) of their CO, Lt. Col Vokes, wearing what appears to be a one piece badge (as it lacks a change in tone where the overlay should be), though it could just as easily be a two piece, B&W photos sometimes being deceiving. However, it does show the leaf containing detail. So, at the least it would not be typical of ALL officers. It could well be a certain Squadron or even a troop level affectation, perhaps certain NCO's or troop leaders?? Or maybe it's just a dumb story to salvage value in an otherwise defaced and worthless badge...

From what Brooker has researched and written about this badge, it was a regimental, private purchase badge and all ranks had to buy their cap badge and there was even a probationary period before being eligible to buy the badge (i.e.: prove yourself worthy to wear it). I think this may well explain photos showing contemporary wear of both the VIII Recce "Leaf" badge and the Bucking Bronc of the 14thCLH/CH.

The two piece badge is a heavy, well made badge of silver and gilt brass, the one piece badge I am not sure if it silver or white metal. (Some also say the one piece is a fake too??). To me, it seems criminal to deface this badge in such a way. Especially considering the materials it is made from and the effort required to get it. At least during the war? After the war, you keep it in a drawer and it keeps tarnishing, it may be easier to keep clean by whizzing off the detail?? (I know that one of my examples was black as pitch when I acquired it and it was many diligent hours with cotton on the end of a toothpick to get in all the nooks and crannies.)

Ah, but that's just more useless conjecture...

Anyway, my point is the same as yours was originally, there is little collectable value in the "damaged" badge. Which is a shame and it is a further shame that we don't have a true and documented origin to this interesting badge.

Bill (who is not as cranky as he may sound!)