View Single Post
Old 15-07-18, 05:00 PM

Some more thoughts if I may. In my limited experience, it seems that there are two variants of the RSR beret cloth badge representing the two locations where the training bases were located and the patches most likely made (Cairo and the Middle East and later around Bari, Italy).

I believe the RSR was conceived and formed in Cairo and neighbouring Katatba with initial training, including the para training jumps done in or near Palestine. Many of the Officers from the initial group were recruited from South African forces. Harry did recall that the cigarette ration received in Bari was often supplemented by the South African influence and C to C (Cape to Cairo) cigarettes were provided to the RSR group in Italy. Smokers remember these things I guess.

Gage, one of the initial Officers in the RSR records that the first parachute course consisted of 80 officers and men and was conducted at Ramid David near Nazareth in late 1943. (Greek Adventure, Jack Gage, Published by Unie Volkspers (1950). Gage mentions training consisted of 7 jumps and Harry recalled this was the same in Bari too. While a Hudson aircraft was reported to be used during the first training jumps in Ramid David, Harry says they used whatever was available around Bari which included a Manchester and a Lancaster (where they jumped from the bomb-bay, not through the door) and also a very noisy Italian aircraft (Marchetti maybe?).

The variations in the both the para qualification and cap badges may also be a reflection of where the soldiers took their initial RSR training. I don’t think there are any absolutes given the era, circumstances and even how some men would move between Operational groups.