View Single Post
Old 25-05-09, 07:53 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been going into the history of quite a few badge makers in recent months and Gaunt is a pretty difficult one to come to terms with due to conflicting historical write ups in many web sites and actual written book pages even though the history of the company is relatively recent.

I am though of the opinion that the marks to sliders and bodies of London and Birmingham for anodised aluminium cap badges are related to the location of administration except in the final years while under Firmin ownership when admin was transferred back to London.

As such, I believe all badges were manufactured in Birmingham. They were marked London while admin was initially in London, changed to Birmingham in 1973 when taken over by the Birmingham Mint and when admin shifted to Birmingham. They were however, retained as Birmingham during the 1991-1993 Firmin era even though administration reverted back to a London location.

This conclusion comes from the reading official WO/MoD correspondence and company note paper and while is most feasible is not definite.

I would therefore exercise caution to the statements above that I have made.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Chris