View Single Post
Old 21-04-09, 07:48 PM

Default Gaunt’s Badges - Birmingham or London Made?

Although I’m still new to badge collecting I was under the impression (rightly or wrongly) that by the 1970s much of Gaunt’s badge production was carried out in London, but that their buttons were made in Birmingham. I understood that when the Birmingham Mint bought Gaunt (both the London and Birmingham factories) in 1973, that this is when all the London badge manufacturing was transferred to the Birmingham side of the Firm? I had assumed that this was why all those badges that had previously been marked “J.R. Gaunt London” then began to carry a “J.R. Gaunt B’ham” mark. However Alan’s comments suggest that this change of mark was merely to do with the shutting of the Head Office in London, so maybe many of the badges up to 1973 had actually been made in Brum after all but simply marked London because that was where the Company’s registered office was? It would be really good to know more about Gaunt’s history, as well as the facts about what was made where and when - maybe Julian can come up with something? Here’s hoping he can, as I for one would be very glad to hear about it.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 02-06-09 at 07:20 PM.