Thread: Beware!
View Single Post
Old 04-02-08, 08:32 PM

Smile Restrikes

I have collected badges for many years and have bought a good many from ebay, yes there are a hell of a lot of restrikes but if you study who is selling what on a regular basis you get a good idea who is to be trusted and who is selling modern strikes. I know this is not foolproof and I have bought the odd badge that I have thought was wrong. If it is advertised as a restrike then fair enough, but if it's not and often this is done by someone who has picked up a job lot at a car boot sale with no knowledge of badges, then return the item and ask for a refund, I always leave positive feedback and have never had a problem.
Incidently, last week there was a Cambridgeshire cap badge which was advertised on ebay as a restrike because the first "e" was missing. It was absolutely correct and someone got a bargain!
I take your point about Black Watch badges being concave, but I have a T.F.4/5/6/7 Btn cap badge which was given to me by my cousin over fifty years ago with the most ghastly wide copper slider lead soldered on the back. I have since replaced this with two loops, this badge is as flat as the proverbial pancake, but I have no doubt of it's authenticity.