View Single Post
Old 16-02-13, 09:43 PM

Ubervald if you go to the CLASSIFIED section you,ll find members offloading spare badges at reasonable prices than dealers! and of course you are fairly certain to not getting a restrike this way! until such time as you get an understanding for what you wish to actually collect, you,ll also find various books on there as well, over a period of time you will gradually build up what you need, Peter Doyle and Chris Foster,s book BRITISH ARMY CAP BADGES of the 1st WORLD WAR is a good place to start, this gives a broad spectrum of the period with Economy-issue badges and Volunteer & Pals battalions, as to these they go for hundreds of pounds you may wish to collect originals only but you,d need a serious amount of cash perhaps these can obtained if you are lucky but maybe by collecting a copy of these regiments only you can pick them up for a few pounds! as members have already said some badges in use prior to 1st W.W. went on till the 2nd, also as battalions were raised beyound the normal 2 these adopted either a similar badge to parent unit or took for instance a collar-badge to wear as a cap-badge these could and usually were different from the regular,s badge even button,s ended up being used loads to learn but lots of help given freely if I have something wrong another member will clarify and add to what i,ve written good luck!

(check out books written by members top of forum site-also Amazon has used copies of this book also Gaynors and Kipling & King, take your time as this last book Vol 1, I have seen as low as £25 but can go for as much as £65 )