View Single Post
Old 28-10-11, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi all, As part of my continuing research on insignia of the Commando and Amphibious forces does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Forces Volunteer Reserve cloth shoulder title or photos of it being worn?

Additionally does anyone have any images of the Royal Marine Reserve (Royal Marines Commando with "R" beneath) shoulder title or the one before that which I believe was the same but with "VR" underneath.

Any info gratefully recieved

Tony
Hello Tony
I was a member of the RMFVR City of London Detachment at White City, London for four years (1963 - 1966 - Marine 1st class/ JNCO Cadre Y Coy) and a 'reg' for two (accident causing me to leave). Anyway, there was no difference in the uniform and same as worn by 'regs' but there were two insignia differences, hardly noticeable. Firstly on your No1 dress (blues) the epaulette brass or 'stay bright' insignias showed RMFVR as opposed to RM and back then when "battledress khakis' were worn (not great), the shoulder flash was like the 'regs', a single slim navy strip with Royal Marines in red but underneath that strip was a tiny square also in navy with red letters showing 'VR'. I know this is probably old hat now but that is however, all there was differentiating them both. Hope that helps. Just registered and saw your query.

Regards

Dick