View Single Post
Old 10-02-20, 10:29 PM

Default 1at American Squadron Cap Badge

Have another question, this time regarding the cap badge worn by the 1st American Squadron of the Home Guard. I see a lot of them offered with the standard American screw back bolt in the middle as this.

However, I am not able to determine the size of this badge from the picture or what is provided. If it is the standard size of the usual American army cap badge, then I suspect it is in reality a cap badge worn by a Tech Rep serving the US Army as an interface with the various war contractors. Additionally, I do not see how the standard sized cap badge could fit properly on a British side cap (I think you all refer to it as a FS cap) and also without poking the wearer's head.

I think the only proper cap badge worn by this unit would be a smaller version as depicted in this grouping of reenactor items. This look proper.

I am only making assumptions here, but to me this seems to be a true cap badge worn by this squadron, and although I can say what the size is, it seems more akin to a typical British cap badge.

Not trying to stir the pot here, just trying to understand what is correct. The tech rep badges can be found over here at prices far less than the UK, but I don't think they would be proper HG cap badges. I measured the standard eagle cap badge on my officers 15th AF crusher and it measures 2 3/8ths inches and 21/8th inches. When I am in a position to get one, I'd like it to be correct.

I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Terry