View Single Post
Old 10-05-15, 01:14 AM

After a extended absence from the forum I've just stumbled upon this topic and thought I'd give it a another airing.

On 14 Jul 15 Spr Page was wounded (spinal injury) on Gallipoli, and eventually evacuated to England. Spr Page embarked from England on 7 Nov 15, arriving in Australia on 21 Dec 15, Spr Page returned to duty on 16 Mar 16 and re-embarked again for England on 7 Oct 16.

The four inverted cheverons and grenade badge, worn on the lower right arm, signify a Company Quartermaster Sergeant of Engineers. According to Spr Page's service record his promotions and reductions read as follows -

Sapper - 31 Aug 14
Acting Corporal (Voyage Only) - c.7 Oct 16
Lance Corporal - 5 Jan 17
2nd Corporal - 3 Sep 18
Temporary Corporal - 27 Jan 19
Canteen Sergeant - c.19 Jun 19
Discharged - 19 Oct 19

The only thing I can think of as to why he is wearing the rank of a CQMS is that the appointment as 'Canteen Sergeant' equates itself to a CQMS.

Dean, you say the card states his rank as Sgt of Corporals, are you sure it doesn't read 'Second Corporal'?

Finally, there was a very interesting story on 60 Minutes (25 Apr 2015) in which it was stated the 1st Field Company Engineers accompanied the covering force (the first wave) at the landing at Anzac, so Howard Page may well have been amongst the first to land, if you get a chance watch it.

Dan