View Single Post
Old 19-09-18, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The badge in question was authorized circa 1954 for wear by all soldiers who were not posted to a regiment or corps. For a small number of soldiers it was the badge they wore in certain roles as their permanent badge. Once on the strength of a corps or regiment, the soldier wore that respective badge. This is documented in files found in archives.
Well that makes the first sentence in my reply totally moot. I was only ever aware of it being used during the early years of the CAS. I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
The use of the badge in the manner you describe is not documented in any source I have seen, and it is noted the badge was not in great demand, as most OR recruits were trained in regimental or corps depots or schools. Finding documentation of the use in the manner you describe would be fantastic.

But the badge was not solely used for that purpose.
As you can tell, badges are not my strong suit. Documentation is. I have copies of several orders for the organization of the CAS, however none of them deal with the cap badge or other insignia. I would suspect, and this is only my opinion, that the badge in question was used probably because it was available. In which case, finding a written reference to it might be challenging. However, in the past I've stumbled across obscure references before so one never gives up hope.

I'm going to look for the photograph I referenced and try to post it here.

Thanks for your info.

Cheers,
Dan.