View Single Post
Old 27-05-11, 09:51 AM

"Roger your last"........

However, having now spoken to 1st Tankie and Robthereiver offline with new and exciting information, i thought it appropriate to show the new evidence and put this discussion to rest.

The badges in the possession of 1st Tankie are almost certainly pagri badges worn exclusively by members of the KDG Band during their tour of Egypt/India in the mid 30's. The attached photos of the bandsmen 'at play' bear witness to that fact. No other members of the Regt wore pagri badges, just the band; and as everyone knows, the best and most efficient way of securing a badge to a pagri is with a clasped pin. The 2nd pattern arm badge was discontinued in 1930 and replaced with the crowned monogram, so at the time these photos were taken, the new pattern arm badge would already have been worn by Cpl and above. Any notion that the badges could have 'doubled' as arm badges is impossible.
That they could be earlier (1920's) examples of DIY arm badges is of course arguable but in my opinion unlikely as all examples i have of that time including professionally commissioned and 'in theatre' items sport lugs.

What fun that was.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KDG Pagri Badge 2.jpg (55.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg KDG Pagri Badge 3.jpg (63.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg KDG Bdsm Johnson 1936.jpg (21.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Cardiffbloke; 27-05-11 at 09:58 AM.