View Single Post
Old 25-12-22, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf42 View Post
Some time later.

I was having a scout around to see what back ground information might be available regarding the regiments in the above list who cannot be associated with the deaths of General Wolfe (15th, 17th & 47th) or Sir John Moore.(9th & 92nd), viz the 31st, 65th and the 88th

The only association I can detect is with the Duke of Wellington. The 2/31st were at Talavera. The 65th fought in the Mahratta wars, recalled by the Tiger in their cap badge. The 88th bore the distinction 'Peninsular' on their colours, as well as the names of numerous individual actions in that campaign. I have not been able to find reference but perhaps these regiments wore black to commemorate the Duke of Wellington after his death in 1852.
I don’t think that can be the case Jack, as the Duke of Wellington was not KIA simultaneously to the regiment’s concerned being under command, which according to the reference was the key qualifier.

Unfortunately Perry does not elaborate further and his very detailed book, published in 1887, and so within living memory of the Childers Reforms, refers to the new regimental names (and their forebear numbers), without making clear whether 1st or 2nd Battalion was the origin.

The black line is referred to in officers dress regulations from Childers onward, but the previous iterations for the numbered regiments are less detailed and I’m not sure if there’s any mention. I will try to look in due course.

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 25-12-22 at 11:52 AM.