View Single Post
Old 01-01-18, 12:40 PM

Hello Roy

You may well have a point regarding the use of 'C Jennens' and 'Charles Jennens' as regards the dates of use but I think it would be difficult to establish as fact, certainly so far as their use as a backmark is concerned.

Personally I think the use of 'C' and 'Charles' is interchangeable depending, probably, on the size of the button and the die-maker who may not have been given detailed instructions as to the form the name should take.

It's worth mentioning that the details of names and addresses that appear in directories and so on do not always relate to the backmark on buttons. For instance, there are several addresses given for Jennens between 1807 and 1855 but I have never seen any of these on a button, just the name in one form or another and 'London' (does anyone have any early buttons giving the Jennens name and a street address?).

The London Directories also refer to businesses under the names of 'Thomas Jennens', 'Joseph Jennens', 'T & J W Jennens' but I have only ever seen 'C Jennens', 'Charles Jennens' or 'Jennens & Co' used as backmarks on buttons in this period.

Good luck getting your 100 up. It had better be a superlative button!

Roger