View Single Post
Old 23-07-08, 11:17 PM

Hi Jonny,
...the titles are also to be found in white metal or even chromed (a fairly modern thing)! Under the white metal, it is brass, as is the chromed one. However, saying that, there are white metal ones through and through!
The white metal/chromed ones were worn on the No;1 dress blues on top of the chain mail shoulder protectors. The titles are no longer worn, and haven't been for a very long time.

In junes issue of soldier magazine, there was a column showing different army badges, including the 'maple leaf', of which the author stated that it was worn by the NIH on jumpers and combat shirts - this has never been the case - he was referring to a subdued woven version!
Officers wore a bullion silver maple leaf on both sleeves of the blues jacket, but this was later replaced by the small silver/white metal version, which was sewn onto the jacket. The maple leafs are also worn on the No;2 dress jacket.

The regiment is still adapting to being part of the QOY. We are no longer allowed to wear NIH slip on shoulder titles - we have to wear QOY ones (which are obligatory and they have to be purchased), we no longer wear the NIH cap badge - instead we have to wear the 'scabby dog', we wear the QOY TRF (Tactical Recognition Flash) on the upper right arm, and the colours are those of the QOY stable belt, and we are no longer allowed to wear the NIH stable belt!

However, saying that, i still wear my sldr95 DPM rank slide on my smock which has the NIH letters on! A few of us still do it, as it's our only form of regimental i.d left!

tim