View Single Post
Old 22-03-21, 07:29 AM

From the photographs, I would have thought that your badge is an Edwardian example and rather scarce, very similar to the Victorian made pieces in terms of the manufacture and material used, you would not normally expect to see any wire on either of those two badges, very nice indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stma View Post
Dear all,

I was wondering whether anyone could possibly provide some advice as to whether this Connaught Rangers cap badge is genuine or a copy? Apologies for writing a lengthy message, but this badge seems to borderline as to its authenticity to me.

Please note that in some of the photos, I have placed the badge in question (with voided strings) next to a reproduction (without voided strings and an incorrect back) to perhaps give a better perspective on the badge in question.

The things which make me believe that the badge with voided strings in question is perhaps genuine are:

1) That we have voided strings, which is one of the signs of a genuine badge

2) The mottled effect on the scroll with: Connaught Rangers has subtle / light dotting, as opposed to heavy dotting, which can be seen on the repro badge

3) The back reverse image of the badge is crisp as opposed to feint

4) The slider appears to be of the correct length / very slightly tapered and is fairly thick metal with feint signs of a crimp mark. In addition, the brazing which joins the slider to the badge appears to be of brass as opposed to copper.

As far as I am aware and unless I am mistaken these are the signs of a genuine badge.

However, my reasons for the badge in question being a fake would be as follows:

1) There is no ‘U’ shaped strengthening wire brazed to the back, which attaches the crown to the harp on the rear. However, I have been told that not all Connaught Rangers badges had this strengthening wire to the back of them – is this true or false?

2) The badge does not appear to be ‘well used’, although not necessarily a guarantee of authenticity, I have been informed that original badges often have a natural aged / patinated look

Any advice / guidance on whether the badge in question is genuine / reproduction would be much appreciated.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Regards.