View Single Post
Old 15-09-21, 11:27 AM

Only reference I have on the subject is "East York Volunteer Infantry 1859-1908" by R. Williamson and G.A. Collinson.

It shows an illustration of the 2VB East Yorks glengarry badge but no mention of a different badge for the Battalion's Cyclists element.

It illustrates an all white metal 2VB East Yorks cap badge, the rose, wreath, star over regimental name scroll but with an additional 2VB scroll which I hadn't seen elsewhere.

It doesn't mention or illustrate the 1VB version of same which I've seen in dealer's lists, or the white metal version without an additional VB scroll, which I've seen with remnants of black paint.

Apologies to those who know all this already:

On 1/7/1881 the two battalions of the East Yorkshire Rifle Volunteer Corps were designated as Volunteer Battalions of the East Yorkshire Regiment.
On 1/5/1883 they were formally retitled as the 1st Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment and the 2nd Volunteer Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment.
“It is not clear at what paint the badges of the Rifle Volunteers were exchanged for East Yorkshire Regiment insignia (still in silver or white metal for volunteers).
The right to wear the badge of the East Yorkshire Regiment was granted in a War Office letter dated 25th February 1885, but photographs of officers in 1884 show the badge being worn on the peaked forage cap as part of undress uniform.”
The badge worn by 2VB on the Glengarry Cap introduced for Rank and File in 1874, worn until 1895, was an 8 pointed star bearing the Rose of York encircled by a laurel wreath all within a circlet bearing “2ND VOLr. BATN. EAST YORKSHIRE” and surmounted by the Victorian Crown.

Around 1896-98 2VB wore the Field Service Cap with two small white metal GS buttons on the front and a cap badge in white metal – the rose and wreath above a scroll “2ND VOLr BATTn” on a star and with scroll “EAST YORKSHIRE”” below (I’m not quite sure of the exact wording on the “2ND VOLr BATTn" scroll).
In 1893 the War Office sanctioned the formation of a Cyclist Section in each volunteer Battalion, a section was formed in the 1st VB and in “A" Coy of 2VB.
By 1901 Volunteer Regulations sanctioned the formation of Cyclist Companies in each Battalion, 1VB quickly formed “H" Coy (a photograph of them taken in 1902 shows them wearing white metal collar badges in the blue FSC) but 2VB appear to have continued to operate a Cyclist Section.
On 1/4/1908 1 VB East Yorkshire Regiment became 4th Bn (TF) East Yorkshire Regiment, 2VB East Yorks amalgamated with 2VB Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) to form the 5th Bn Yorkshire Regiment. (TF).
The 5th (Cyclist) Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment was an entirely new Battalion, formed as one of the ten original units which became the Cyclist Battalions of the TF in 1908.
It’s nucleus was a group of an officer and around 90 NCOs and men from “H" Coy (Cyclists) of 1VB East Yorks.
The former Howden Coy of 2VB East Yorks, disbanded under re-organisation, provided 60% of its former strength plus company officers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210914_151606~2.jpg (59.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20210914_163300~2.jpg (84.7 KB, 18 views)