Thread: Postage
View Single Post
Old 17-03-10, 11:18 AM

Exclamation Postage problems - beware

Folks,
Just to add a new dimension to this thread, my young brother Kiwisapper sent me some badges to get repaired recently. We were both getting a bit concerned at the time taken, especially as he had done all the right things ie - insurance, recorded delivery and customs declaration.
What really hacked me off was when I got a letter from HM Revenue and Customs yesterday saying the package had been impounded and they wanted £63-65 for it's release.
The letter gave a phone number and an email address to contact HMRC. Sounds fair enough. I have tried the phone number about 30 times over the last 24 hours, and it is permanently engaged. I sent an email, only to get an automated response telling me that the email service is suspended, and to ring the same number. Between us we have decided that it's not worth the trouble, and the package can go back to New Zealand.
I'm quite annoyed by the whole episode, and find it amazing that HMRC don't even have an automated answering service on their phone line, but then again, it seems to be geared so that the only option is to pay the money. I don't even know how they calculate that amount. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.
Beware all.

John