View Single Post
Old 06-10-19, 12:40 PM

Default Surrey Yeomanry OSD?

Gents
It's a slow, dreich, wet Sunday afternoon, so what better excuse to stay indoors, light the fire and dig out some badges.

I have pulled out the attached Surrey Yeomanry badges from my yeomanry box. The bronzed badge at the top came with a lot of random badges that I bought online at auction. On inspection it appears to be from the same die as the tall gilding KC badge on the second row except it has been bronzed. It has replacement loops, perhaps replacing the usual officers tang fittings if it's an OSD badge. However, it does have some scarring and loss of bronze behind the crown which may indicate that at one time it had a slider, so maybe OR's. However, I can find no reference indicating that at any time the Surrey Yeomanry had bronzed badges, so can I safely assume it is indeed a die-stamped bronzed OSD badge with replacement loops?

Perhaps these die-stamped badges were cheaper to buy than the usual thick die-cast bronze badges and fitted the pocket of a more financially challenged officer?

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg surrey.jpg (60.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg surrey 1.jpg (51.0 KB, 29 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 06-10-19 at 12:57 PM.