View Single Post
Old 18-05-12, 11:02 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Forum members, this may seem like a rant and I want you to remember that I am an old collector who has reached pensionable age, but this thread, with dimensions of sliders marked and unmarked, crimps deep and otherwise point to me that these badges are suspect.

I may be wrong, but badges made pre 1940's rarely had named sliders, having looked at some of the excellent photographs offered, I am more than ever convinced that OR's WWI cap badges with named sliders and plaques, with the exception of Lambourne and the RND are suspect, as for the crimps, what purpose do they serve?

The crimps are usually well below the point of the bend, if they were on the bend I would see the reason to help in the production, allowing the brass to bend without snapping, but often these I am sure are just yet another embellishment to give a restrike credibility.

I am sure members may well be able to put me right on these points, but from where I am sitting, things do not add up.

Why would companies involved in the production of badges at a time of National crisis bother to put the name of the company on the slider, they surely were not paid anymore?

The reason the RND had the plaques, was that the Navy had extremely high Standards, it was "Winston's Little Army" after all and they were a prestigious force in 1914. They even had two books printed about them showing the officers with captions. How many other unts had this?

Well done for showing the makers marks, but I am not convinced every things correct.

Rob

This doesn't seem like a rant, Rob. A perfectly reasonable post which expresses your considered opinion rather succinctly.

Good on you, mate; this is what a froum should be all about.

Peter.