View Single Post
Old 16-03-09, 07:51 PM

Hello Phil, (Are you like me a frog?)
Thanks for reply, unfortunatly I don't take the books wrote by M. Bouchery as a good reference. In my opinion there are too many errors and essential informations missing to be THE REFERENCE. For instance most of the infantry battalions converted in RAC Battalions took place in 1941 and 1942 and not in 1944 as M. Bouchery states. In particular the 8th Bn The East Lancashire Regt which was converted in 1941. Early they wore the cap badge of their former regiment and in 1945 when the battalion was converted in RTR (4 RTR) they wore the RTR cap badge. But in 1944 I don't know...
About the King's Own Regiment only the former 5th Inf. Bn converted in 107 RAC Bn in January 1942 fought in Normandy. As you told they wore in 1944 a King's Own Regt white metal cap badge. (Their first cap badge pattern was chromed and probably made in unit). You'll find 144 RAC graves at Banneville la Campagne, Trooper Joseph Ryan 144 RAC, from Caen take the road to Rouen but not the highway, the CWGC cemetery is juste before Sannerville. Also Trooper V. Hull at Bayeux CWGC cemetery. J-F

Last edited by Alan O; 24-06-09 at 12:01 PM.