View Single Post
Old 16-08-10, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
If anyone is near The National Archives at Kew go and request file
WO199/3257. It is the HG Location Statement for November 1941.
Surprisingly it has exactly the same information as Stand Down. It lists all units to Bn level. If I remember correctly it doesn't mention the weird and wonderful units that people seem to find insignia for.

So far as authorised insignia go the following were the rules until Stand Down.

03.08.40. HG authorised to wear cap badges of County Regt to which affiliated. ACI 1924/40 refers.
---
18.03.41. WO Telegram: Home Guard-All ranks below Full Colonel to wear cap badge of Regt to which they belong. Colonel & above to wear Royal Crest badge.
---
24.04.41. ACI 623: Notification of appropriate badges to be worn by HG officers.
1) Officers will wear the uniform as issued, i.e. battle dress, with the badges of their Home Guard rank in worsted material on the battle dress and in gilt metal on the greatcoat. The drab field service cap will be worn.
Officer of the rank of Colonel and upwards may wear scarlet gorget patches on the collar of battle dress as laid down for officers of corresponding rank in the Regular Army. The drab field service cap as issued may be worn, or alternatively the coloured field service cap with the Royal Crest badge. The coloured field service cap and badge, if worn, cannot be supplied at public expense.
2) All ranks below that of full colonel will wear the cap badge of the
regiment of the county to which they belong unless otherwise authorised by the War Office.
3) No other uniform or badge will be permitted.
---
I cannot lay my hands on it now, but there were instructions that HG officers were NOT permttted to wear the Officers' Service Dress bronze badges.

Stephen.
Hi stephen .
Here is my buckinghamshire battalion badge,it belonged to the captain of
BUX6 if i remember correctly, the badge appears to have never been painted black.
Andy.

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:43 PM.