View Single Post
Old 03-06-13, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Bala,

According to files in the PRO there were units in Herefordshire and Caernarfon but nowhere else in Wales or the Welsh border counties of England.
I've attached a photo, taken from WO199/3389.

Looking in Postwarden's book there is a picture of a title worn in Suffolk. It is SFK over 202. Jon also has a photo of a locally made CC over 202 which he attributes to a locally made Caernarfon badge.

Tha badge you showed on your post is attributed to one unofficially worn by a unit of the Women's Home Defence, attached to 11 Denbighshire (Ministry of Food) Bn, HG. Again, this is shown in Jon's book.

Stephen.
I am going to revisit this as there seems to be no further response and I am interested in finding out the answer to Bala's initial question as to how the Welsh counties were number designated as Auxiliary Units, were they 201, 202 or 203? As stated Monmouthshire is known to have been 202.

Badjez then posted a photograph of a PRO document from which it was quoted that there was a unit in Caernarvon along with Hereford.

The document states in four regional groups which counties were designated 202. In region four on the document the counties shown are Devon, Cornwall, Somerset, Hereford and CARMARTHEN not CAERNARVON.

This tells me that Carmarthen was 202.

There may have been a unit in Caernarvon but it does not appear anywhere on the document shown here.

Does anyone agree or disagree?

Jack