Thread: Introduction
View Single Post
Old 04-06-11, 07:43 PM

Default Hello Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatherofthree View Post
Good evening David.

And a welcome from Hertfordshire.

I've got a couple of Middlesex Pioneer Battalion pictures that may interest you, I also collect to The Middlesex Regiment and I'm still searching for an elusive proper Pioneerss badge.

Regards

Brian
Hello Brian, thankyou for your welcome. I am very fortunate in that I have my Great Grandfathers cap badge from the Middlesex Pioneer Battalion. I was clearing out my grandmothers loft about twenty five years ago and found it in a small tin of badges and coins, it still remains as one of my favourite finds. I intend to research both of my Great Grandfathers on my fathers side as they both served during the first World War. The Grand Father who was in the Middlesex regiment was recruited in Ireland and had previously served in the Boer war in a cavalry regiment. He left the army and worked as a horse drawn tram driver. He was then given the chance to learn to drive; when petrol buses first appeared. The family story is that he was amongst the volunteers sent to France in 1914 by London County Council to ferry troops back and forth to the front. He was gassed on several occasions and I think that it was during one of these times whilst recovering that he was a pioneer. My father thought that he ended the war as a member of the Machine Gun Corps.

Best wishes Dave Moore