View Single Post
Old 15-04-22, 09:37 PM

Thanks to the author of the new book on the New Zealand Engineers Tunnelling company (who provided the orders) we now have a little more insight into badges worn by this unit.

Once again history has left us with speculation!
The word 'similar' is mentioned to describe the badge issued to the company. The routine order used it for a reason. The writer didn't say 'same' or 'larger than' (the TF NZE badge) which would have made it much easier for us 105 years later.

In my view the existing TF NZE badge is too small and the larger version is a simple practicality, especially in the dim lighting of tunnels. It would seem that tunnellers wore both large and small size cap/hat badges in France.

I am of the view that the large size NZE badge was ordered by and made for the NZE Tunnelling company in England before they left for France in 1916. Simply because they needed badges for the men and not because they wanted a special tunnellers distinction. While I haven't measured the badge I bet it is the same diameter as a common coin of the time, maybe a penny?

Barry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tunnellers badge.jpg (42.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Tunnellers badges.jpg (50.3 KB, 24 views)