View Single Post
Old 21-12-20, 09:30 PM

Manchesters, I am not able to see any rank chevrons in the original picture posted, so can't comment on them.

The handkerchief cap still smacks of a VAD.

"Initially it was difficult to distinguish trained military nurses from VADs and in consequence the Joint War committee introduced a new type of cap in late 1915. This was of the handkerchief type and was tied at the nape of the neck. This style of headgear became strongly associated with the Great War VAD."

They did wear stripes, but I don't believe they were chevrons. At least none of the pictures I've found show only horizontal stripes. Also, through both wars I understand all QA's were officer rank, so would not be wearing chevrons.

"In 1917 a series of white stripes, worn on the sleeve, was introduced for VADs to wear, indicating length of service. Later these were accompanied by stripes in red or blue, indicating that their Matron or Commanding Officer had certified them as ‘efficient’."

This is the information I have, and what makes me think they are VADs.

Terry

PS - I just enhanced the photo and can now see what do look like chevrons on the girl on the right, her left arm. Cannot explain it, as the headscarf would not be a style I would expect a QA to wear so as not to be confused with being a VAD.

Last edited by Home Guard; 21-12-20 at 09:36 PM.