View Single Post
Old 15-04-10, 06:43 PM

Default Birmingham Mint’s purchase of Gaunts, etc.

Thank you Tinto and Keith for your support – it’s encouraging to know that other members are finding things of interest. It seems we’ve had some more interesting postings from btns, this time, amongst other things, about the pattern books that survived the 1912 fire; as well as the material that was donated to the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst, and which eventually found its way to the National Army Museum. I too had come across mention of Sandhurst’s “Gaunt Collection” but had not realised this was actually the same as what they now have at the NAM! It’s also great to see examples of Gaunt’s pattern books – so many thanks to Peter Taylor for posting these up.

I have been trying to look at the history of J. R. Gaunt & Son in more detail, kindly helped by btns who has been sharing some of his information and sources on this with me. Hopefully I should have some preliminary findings ready to post up in a few days, but in the meantime here’s something from the last days of the Firm:

This piece appeared in The Times in June 1973, and whilst it has been noted elsewhere (such as my posting here) that Gaunts were sold to the Birmingham Mint that year, I thought it was interesting if only because it tells us the price paid was £600,000. Anyway, as I say I hope to have something ready to post up about the family and company history of J. R. Gaunt & Son soon, which hopefully will also be of interest to Forum members.

Regards

Martin

“Scutelliphiliacus in vestri insignia pergaudete”

Last edited by 'Ticker' Riley; 15-04-10 at 08:29 PM.