View Single Post
Old 24-02-18, 12:28 AM

Hi Rob,

Looking through the war diaries of the various brigade headquarters and battalions of 2 Aust Div at the time those battalions were disbanded and absorbed into others suggests that it was 2 Div policy for the miniature patches to be worn by former members of all the disbanded battalions in 1918.

Can't locate my notes at the moment but it's only been in the last three years or so I've located that information while updating my book. In addition to which I also had a 19 Bn patch in miniature sewn onto an AAMC 2 Aust Div full-size patch, with the brass A also being worn. It was Great War material, not later.

Jeff Cossum used to have a photograph of a miniature 21 Bn patch, with brass A, being worn on what appeared to be a 5 LH Regt patch. Some other anomalies also exist, such as the 12 AFA Bde miniature patch sewn on a full-size AFC patch on the uniform in the AWM. I have looked up the guy's service record and he definitely never belonged to 12 AFA Bde at any stage, and was only attached to them from his AFC squadron for a short period as a wireless operator.

The use of miniature patches for the PMF and CMF was considered in 1920 and approved in SO Dress 1922 although it had probably commenced earlier in these two forces.

Keith