View Single Post
Old 18-01-21, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
Luke,
Maybe I phrased my post wrong and if I have muddied the waters I am sorry, I have some maker marked badges in my collection, three bearing the mark of SUTTLE CAMBRIDGE, two were bought in a lot at auction along with other Great War items. The other on a car boot sale.

Suttle had two gentleman's tailors shops in Cambridge which have long disappeared and I would think after collecting and buying badges for over 65 years in and around the Cambridge area I would have more, sadly not.

We have some excellent researchers on this forum, far more knowledgeable than I am and I have learned a lot from being a member of this forum, no doubt there are many original maker marked sliders on badges, but there are also a lot which are wrong and they do seem more prolific now.

I have been caught out by a less than honest dealer with a maker marked slider, which is why I am wary of them, as for Great War badges being of low value sixty years ago, I beg to differ, I have some of Bill Tobins lists from the sixties and RND badges were expensive even then, of course all badge prices are generally relevant

I would be interested to know how many original "Hate Belts" or "Trophy Belts" that are attributed to the Great War era actually have named sliders on them.

Rob
Suttle was an outfitter as I understand rather than a manufacturer. Therefore they may not have acquired many or had them all marked. However many you’ve seen in your area is still 100% more than me in the London area my whole life. So if there is a very small number comparatively you’ve seen more than most!

As you were talking non-Gaunt I did not include RNDs.

The WW1 makers I am referring to Lambourne, Smith & Wright, Woodward, Bodill Parker etc. made and marked many standard infantry and corps badges which were the crux of my post. As I understand it these were traded in school playgrounds. Even 60 years of inflation on many of these are worth less than a London pint.

Come on are you really saying you want examples of them all on hate belts? I can think of dozens of badges I’ve never ever seen on a hate belt that doesn’t mean those badges are spurious or didn’t exist.

I could direct you to the MM section where you’ll find a nice Bodill Parker & Co marker Norfolk Yeomanry. Finding an example of every maker marked badge on a hate belt is unrealistic.

How many Suttle badges are on hate belts? Assuming for the sake of argument they are WW1 period. Being so scarce there’s a chance none are on a hate belt anywhere.

Most maker marked badges are very scarce v’s those from the same die that are unmarked. How many have a keen enough eye or care enough to identify a certain badge being an unmarked example? Few. Hate belts are at best a lottery and maker marked badges a thunderball amongst that numbers.