View Single Post
Old 27-02-21, 06:36 PM

Jerry, Yes, that is the concern of just buying a badge without proper provenance. So actually acquiring one does seem remote. But never say never as one never knows.

As for your badge, I absolutely agree that you should indeed keep it. Additionally you should identify it for what it is and if you have family you can hand it down to them as the right lineage for it. I have never been able to ask a vet for anything, although I know many collectors over here who do. In fact some dealers will go into a town on a weekend after having run an add in the local paper saying they will be at such and such motel and are interested in buying items from veterans. I will always feel that personal items belong with the family. but at the same time would rather see them got to a reputable collector than get tossed out with the trash when family goes in to clean up after the veteran has passed.

Along these same lines I know many vets who want to donate their military items to a museum or the service branch museum, but don't realize that when they do they have to sign a document that says the museum has the right to display, sell, throw away, etc. as the museum sees fit. Therefore, my father's items will never be donated to a museum.

All said, I do know some items do come on the market.

I tip my hat to you for serving in the Falklands.

Terry