View Single Post
Old 13-03-20, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Sorry Nozzer, that is not correct. I have seen plenty of merchant navy caps identical to the RN cap, in fact, the one you have shown is the first one I have seen like that. The MN really doesn't have a standard unless a specific company has their own dress regulation, so you get a lot of variation.
Cheers,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Thank you for bringing this up as my original post is potentially a little misleading. I Know that you are correct in what you have seen and that Merchant Navy (MN) caps can be found with the same row of oak leaves as Royal Navy (RN) caps as I have seen them myself (Cunard being one), but to say that I am not correct is not true.

I am a little surprised that you have never seen the style of peak on the Blue Funnel Line cap before as it is the Merchant Navy Uniform standard for Captains and is also worn by the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) as shown below with a standard MN cap.

Page 61 of "Heraldry of the Oceans the Garb of the Merchant Seafarer" by A Arnott shows the cap of a Captain of the British & Commonwealth with the MN Standard peak as opposed to the previous page showing a P&O cap with the type as worn by the RN. Sadly they are only drawings, but the difference is clear.

As to the cap in the opening post, I think you would need to dig in to the career of Capt. Mcmillan and see if he did serve with the British & Commonwealth Line.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Last edited by Nozzer; 16-11-21 at 10:37 PM.