View Single Post
Old 04-12-17, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Until I find the original, here's the text:

Mrs K Barraud, Norfolk House, 4 Glen Road, Boscombe, Hants, England

S/76524 Sgt Barraud P HQ 12 Div (SDF), MEF 4pm Friday 28 Jan 44

Dear Kay,

Thanks for your airgraph of 11 Jan 44 which arrived one day after the air mail letter card of the same date. I hope that this will reach you at your new address - if you are still there! (I agree that consequative looks as well as consecuctive!!)

I had a very nice night out on Wednesday. Went to one of the local cinemas and saw Cedric Hardwicke in “The Moon is Down” - it was a first rate film and I expect that you have seen it. As a sidelight I tell you that the house was not full by any means, but that another cinema nearby showing “Road to Morocco” with Bing Crosby and Dorothy Lamour was packed!

No particular news here. It has been nice the last 2 days, but wind got up yesterday. Still we had our weekly hot sulphur bath. Ye Gods, it gets hotter and hotter, but it is a grand bath. Had a walk down to the sea a couple of days ago. This afternoon is very quiet because everyone is out at a football match and I don’t suppose I shall be working after 5.

I must agree we had a good Xmas from the physical point of view, but then I have always tried to impress upon you all at home that I am living in the lap of luxury - perhaps now you will believe it!

Au revoir. Love to J & you.

Yours, Philip.
Mike,

Many, many thanks for this, and a great piece of provenance clearly indicating Sgt Barraud as HQ 12 Div (SDF) - not that I have any reason to doubt this anyway. However, this aside, I think I too would have had a hard choice between the “Road to Morocco” and the “The Moon is Down”, but having just had a quick review of the laters cast list, I’m pretty sure I would have chosen the same.

Kind regards,

Zob.