Thread: Hello.
View Single Post
Old 20-04-22, 02:47 PM

Just a quick update on the breaking-up of collections etc.
Sometimes the auction houses break a family group of items into several Lots as in this case.
The chap in question (Roydon Newport Bean) served in the 4th Battalion The Buffs in the Second Boer War after transferring from the 1st Volunteer Battalion (The Buffs).
One of the Lots contained his medals, collar badges etc, and a large number of cloth badges. This sold for £650.00; way too rich for my blood.
Another Lot contained his shoulder titles, several cap badges (not the 4th Battalion type, just 'plain' Buffs badges), and a silver cup and life saving medal. This sold for £100.00, possibly to the same person who bought the Lot containing his medals, but who knows?
The third Lot I got with no opposing bids. This contained his binoculars, which just need the lens cleaning; two large scale maps of South Africa dated 1900, and a 'Rules' booklet for the 1st Volunteer Battalion The Buffs dated 1885. I actually bid on this Lot as I wanted the 'Rules' booklet to go with my 1st Vol Batt Buffs cap badge, so I'm pleased with this.
The maps I can get framed for displaying, and the binos can be put to practical use. Certainly if I had the funds I would have bought all three Lots as they were all Buffs related. The point is, the family obviously didn't want any of these items anymore and consigned them to auction. And the person or persons who bid on the other Lots didn't want 'my' Lot, QED another collection broken up, but it seems everyone got what they wanted.