View Single Post
Old 13-03-22, 05:18 PM

Perhaps I can add a bit more from my family perspective. I’ve posted images on another thread of my great uncles badges, belt and bonnet. He served with the 1/1st Scottish Horse, joining Jan 15 and mobilised Later that year. Moved to the Mediterranean theatre. His bonnet (still with the family) has a wm Scottish Horse badge and photos taken in 1915 show him wearing this. His service record states that he transferred to the 13 Bn Royal Highlanders on 17th Nov 16. He served with the E.E.F. until early 1918 when he contracted malaria and was evacuated to Malta. Not fit for front line service he was transferred to the RAMC.
He appears to have retained all his military badges, uniform and photos. On his ‘hate belt’ is a brass Scottish Horse cap badge with a tartan backing (plus lots of Mediterranean theatre regiment badges and a Scottish Horse metal shoulder title). There is no Black Watch cap badge or shoulder title amongst his stuff. I can’t say for definite but I am fairly sure he was never issued a Black Watch badge but retained his Scottish Horse bonnet and badge throughout. In the desert his head gear probably did not have a badge?

Bryan