View Single Post
Old 25-10-16, 11:54 AM

Default 'On War Service' Database

I've just checked my records to see if I have any further information. The following might be of interest :-

"The women's pattern triangular brooch was introduced in May 1916. It was available for women [I]"engaged in the manufacture of munitions of war or other urgent war work'[I], which included women employed full-time in canteens "etc" of such establishments, skilled and unskilled workers, clerical staff in the approved companies , charladies and cloakroom attendants. A woman could not be given a badge until she had two months on the job training and badges were not to be issued to girls under 16. No individual certificates were issued with the women's badges and the employer could control allocation and re-allocation of badges - they were basically left to their own devices in this respect although the same rules as for the mens badges applied regarding illegal wear and handing in when leaving employment or coming off war work.

During the eight months from May 1916 over 270,000 women's OWS badges were issued. The final number issued is not recorded but it must have been enormous".

Pete