View Single Post
Old 21-06-21, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
Well done Mike, a cracking collection to get hold of.

Michael
Thanks Michael , it was great to find a set that could actually be traced back to a member of the BLVPF.

I now have 5 BLVPF (style) badges and they fall into 3 distinct categories :

1. Unmarked (long) slider , tapered (51mm - 48mm) . Two including this one.

2. Marked (long) slider , tapered (52mm - 50mm) stamped with a curved RD.684409 on slider (large enamel badge design number). Pre or post BLVPF ?

3. Unmarked (short) slider (366mm) , untapered (58mm - 58mm).

NB. The 'long' sliders are are difficult to measure due to angle of attachment and curvature (483mm - 457mm) but are not noticeably longer than post 1945 marked Bandsman badges.

I can still find no definitive information if anyone wore this style of badge before the BLVPF in 1938 . Bandsmen definitely had a badge but did it have a slider or loops ? In March 1928 the British Legion Car Attendants (Belfast) Ltd began operations but what cap badge did they wear ?

One bit of information that really confuses me is from an official British Legion price list dated February 1937 , it has a price for a 'Bandsman's Cap' badge but also has a price for a 'Standard Bearers' badge !

I am assuming this refers to a crossbelt/sling plates , did Birmingham Medal Co. produce these (as they had the badge contract at that point) ?

Poppy and British Legion Wanted