View Single Post
Old 31-07-22, 10:46 AM

Default UK 32 Signal Regiment Officer Cap Badge Variation

Recently I was able to acquire a Tam O'Shanter for an officer in the British Army Reserve 32 Signal Regiment. I already have an officer glengarry for the unit in my collection and the first thing I noticed were the differences in the cap badges.

I think a lot of us on this forum are familiar with Chris Walker's excellent Signals Badges website. If you are not, I highly recommend you visit, as Chris captures Signal Corps insignia from the UK and Commonwealth countries, often accompanied with pictures of soldiers wearing the insignia. Here is the link:

http://www.signalsbadges.co.uk/

Chris has several examples of the 32 Signal Regiment officer cap badge on his site. All of them are similar in construction to the cap badge from the glengarry. However, the badge for the TOS is different. First, it is smaller than the glengarry badge. Second, instead of using the Signal Corps bi-metal cap badge with separate crown attached to the garter and saltire, the TOS badge has a one-piece, all bronze Jimmy. It is also pretty crudely made.

At first, I was not sure what to think about the difference in construction. I know the TOS and badge are authentic, because I received them directly from the 32's QM. I did a bit more research on Chris' site and he states the Regiment's badges are made locally. So, it appears the difference is due to who made the badge. One thought is the TOS is for a Warrant Officer or junior officer. The QM is sending me the name of the owner when they come back from leave. I will update this thread with the rank at that time.

Of note is the members of the Regiment's 40 (North Irish Horse) Signal Squadron based in Belfast, Northern Ireland appear to wear a blue caubeen instead of a TOS while in Number 2 Dress.

Last edited by Reid10; 31-07-22 at 10:51 AM.