View Single Post
Old 15-03-09, 08:21 PM
L&BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
LBHY,
Thanks for reply, in fact I am not sure they wore the East Lancashire Regt cap badge when they came in North West Europe. F
I confirm the info I gave you. I took it from Bouchery's book which deals with the British Soldier in Normandy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I know few infantry Bn converted in RAC wore a cap badge in connection with their former units sometimes in white metal but not all. On 144 RAC graves in Normandy, it is the 2nd pattern RAC badge which is carved in the stone...J-F
13 infantry battalions were transferred to RAC in early 44 among which 8 retained their regiment cap badge and refused to wear the RAC one. One should beware about the badges carved in the stone as it is sometimes not 100% the one of the regiment of the fallen. I've seen Lothians soldiers definitively transferred to the Fifes and with the Lothians badge carved for instance. I have even seen inear Caen an infantry officer's grave with the Artists Rifles badge carved!
There are two badges for the East Lancashire: brass and W/M. Don't forget that the East lancashire regiment had 7 battalions serving during WWII. Also remember the King's own Lancaster regiment where infantry battalions in Normandy wore the brass one and the RAC converted wore the w/m version.

Maybe should you ask the regiment's museum about that, they'll definitely know: qlrmuseum@btconnect.com
Cheers
Phil

PS: will be in Normandy for Easter's holidays during 10 days. Can you tell me where men of the 144th are buried, I shall go on their graves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EAst Lancashire wm.JPG (11.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by L&BH; 15-03-09 at 08:41 PM.