View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill Lockett View Post
Hi Doug

All nice WWII examples.

Both USAAF design are standard US schiffli embroidered to OQMC specifications.

The rest are regarded as British theatre made WWII era. Made by different manufacturers.

Depending on what your Grand father duties,he would of been issued US SSI as Liaison to the IXth TTC. If he did, it would of been on the left shoulder as per US regulations, his current assignment.

There have been documented cases of British Liaison personnel wearing American SSI both officers and enlisted personnel.

You normally see them in Higher HQ Commands, combined operations roles.

There were many manufacturers of military emblems in the States and so you would get slight embroidery variations , this was due to the stitch pattern that each manufacturer made as part of the their design process.

Phill
Hi Phil

Thank you for the confirmation regarding authenticity and the further information! One clarification - would the fully embroidered 9th AF patch be UK or US-made?

Regarding the wearing of US insignia, I would be interested to hear more. I would be grateful if you can send me a PM, with more info on the mentioned documented cases. I have seen cases of British and Polish personnel wearing the First Allied Airborne Army patch, but not yet 9th AF or IXth TCC.

My grandfather was a member of British Airborne liaison staff, working with the IXth TCC in preparing for Operations in Northwest Europe; spending most of the time at Wing HQs, visiting various airfields.

Last edited by DougSA; 02-04-20 at 11:05 AM.