View Single Post
Old 11-01-16, 10:07 PM

Default RN Cocked hats Civil branch

Continuing with RN Cocked hats ---- the Civil branch of the RN consisted of the "non military"; that is, non combatant officers - such as Surgeons, Paymasters, Engineers, Naval Instructors, with many more added as the later Victorian era came to a close - Warrant Officers - Armourers, Shipwrights, Electrical, Schoolmasters, Wardmasters etc.

The Civil branch cocked hats are very rare, as the Civil branches were abolished in 1918. Engineers were first to became part of the Military branch in 1915, Paymasters next in mid 1918, then all others were granted "military rank" later in that year.
Thus the Civil branch cocked hats are seldom seen now.

I am fortunate to have a Victorian example, circa 1880, this example belonging to an Engineer Officer. I am even more fortunate ain that I also have his dress uniform.

The Civil branch cocked hats used gold lace(same as their rank sleeve lace) instead of the gold bullion on the hats. However the bullions were the same on the fore & aft part of the hat.

This hat was worn by the Civil branch equivalent to Military branch Lieut & Lieut Commander, ie: Engineer/Paymaster/Surgeon & Staff Engineer/Paymaster/Surgeon.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Civil cocked 2.jpg (31.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cockedhat.civil.side.jpg (37.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cockedhat.civil.top.jpg (28.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg cockedhat.civil.side.lace...jpg (55.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cockedhat.civil.side.lace.jpg (57.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg cockedhat.civil.side.lace.close.jpg (72.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by RCN; 11-01-16 at 11:18 PM.